Lake Ontario swimming
Check the water quality report for Woodbine Beach, Ashbridge’s Bay Park.
Note Greenwood Pool is closed Labour Day but you can swim at Monarch or Summerville (Olympic) pool on that day.
Greenwood Pool is open daily until Sunday September 4 from 12 to 7 for leisure swim, and from 7 to 8 p.m. for adult lane swim (18+). On the Greenwood Park page click on Drop-in Programs/ Swimming to see the current week’s schedule. Also see swim lessons by clicking on Swimming.
Monarch Park Pool daily *including Labour Day – leisure swim 12 to 7 p.m., lane swim 7 to 8 p.m. Note Monarch is also open the weekend of Sat. Sept. 10 – Sun. Sept. 11. Those two days, same times for leisure swim 12-7 and lane swim 7-8. Final closing Sun. Sept. 11 at 8 p.m.
Donald Summerville Olympic Pool Lane swim 7 to 8 p.m. daily until Sept. 4. Leisure swim daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Sept. 4. Leisure swim also from 5 to 7 p.m. starting Aug. 1 to Sept. 4. *On Labour Day, Sept. 5 — leisure swim 12 to 5 p.m.
Ongoing neighbourhood events
Flea market at Ashbridge Estate, 1444 Queen Street East – third Sunday of the month
Sunday August 21
Sunday September 18
Sunday October 16
Farmers’ market, Jonathan Ashbridge Park
Every Sunday until Oct. 30, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A roundup of summer activities courtesy of Duke of Connaught School Council. Lots to choose from, right in our neighbourhood. Greenwood Pool is now open for swimming (as of Friday June 26).
Pan Am Games: S.H. Armstrong hosts the Pan Am torch relay on July 6 at 10 a.m.!
S.H. Armstrong Community Recreation Centre is a stop on the Pan Am Torch Relay on July 6th! It’s scheduled for 10 a.m. in the gymnasium, so please come out and experience the Pan Am spirit! 56 Woodfield Road.
– Applegrove Community Complex: We currently have space available in our day camps for children ages 6-12 during the weeks of June 29, July 27, August 4, 17 and 24. Our weekly camp activities include: physical activities/swimming, cooking, crafts, trips every week, light Breakfast & Snack, cooperative games. The cost is $100 per week. We are also running 2-week Leadership Programs. This program helps young teens (ages 12 – 15) build confidence and self-esteem; gain leadership and team-building skills; and develop life skills such as planning, budgeting, cooking and first aid. There is currently space available for the weeks of July 6, 20 and August 10. The cost is $200 for 2 weeks. Please email May Seto at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on either camp program and to register.
– NEW – Planète Française is a French immersion camp being offered at Duke this year starting July 6. We are a safe, convenient and innovative French-Immersion camp designed to build French language skills and confidence in a fun summer environment. Enjoy up to 7 action-packed weeks with unique themes, incredible guests and city adventures. Bite into healthy, local and organic snacks which are included during the camp and in the Aftercare Lemonade Club/After-Camp French Reading Club. We want to celebrate our new DUKE location! All registered campers attending the Duke location will receive a drawstring Planète Française nylon bag – perfect for taking along when we explore the local beaches and parks. For more information and to register (some courses are almost full), please visit http://www.planetefrancaise.ca/
– S.H. Armstrong runs a variety of day camps out of their Woodfield Road location. We are so excited for this summer as we have some new staff that are eager and excited to provide an exceptional camp experience! Below are some courses in which space is still available … to register for these or other City of Toronto programme, please visit: https://efun.toronto.ca/torontofun/Start/Start.asp
– Specialty Camp-Acrylics paints: w/o July 27 2015, 9-4pm. Course code #2698749
– Specialty Camp-Acrylics paints: w/o August 17 2015, 9-4pm. Course Code #2698753
– Specialty Camp-Clay: w/o August 4 2015, 9-4pm. Course Code #2698750
– Specialty Camp-Multi Art: w/o August 24, 2015, 9-4pm, Course Code #2698751
Swimming Lessons at S.H. Armstrong and Greenwood Park
– S.H. Armstrong, 56 Woodfield Road: Swimming lessons are being offered this year at SH Amstrong for the month of July! Space is available for a variety courses. Please see attached for the list of courses and click on this link to register: https://efun.toronto.ca/torontofun/Start/Start.asp
– Greenwood Park: Swimming starts at Greenwood Park this Friday, June 26 and ends Sunday, September 6. Greenwood Park offers lessons, leisure swim and lane swim. Please see attached for the Greenwood Park schedule and click on this link to register: https://efun.toronto.ca/torontofun/Start/Start.asp
– Farmer’s market in Jonathan Ashbridge park every Sunday from 9 to 2 (20 Woodward Avenue) until November 1. For more information, please visit: http://leslievillemarket.com/
– Ashbridge Estate flea market: 3rd Sunday of every month from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. until October 18. The next two markets are July 19 and August 16. For more information, please visit: http://leslievilleflea.com/
Today is the last day for the Greenwood Park ice trail – the last chance to lace up your skates. Cold outside so the ice should be nice. Also, friends reported the Winter Stations show is still on today March 22. Here’s a photo I took a couple of weeks ago.
Stay warm. It’s spring… Soon it will be spring.
Our Greenwood Park skating trail is still open, good fun on a day when it’s not raining. Will stay open til March 22.
For other activities, see S.H. Armstrong (March Break camp), East End Community Health Centre and Gerrard-Ashdale Library links under Community Services in the right column.
See What’s New at Applegrove for details on the Applegrove happenings listed below:
Come to the gym at 60 Woodfield Road on March 18 (10:30 am – 2:30 pm) for exhibits, discussions, free lunch and more!
By-appointment Income Tax Clinic – see if you’re eligible.
2015 March Break Camp
Fun, affordable and safe March Break day camp is open to children ages 6 to 12. Call Applegrove 416-461-8143 to inquire about space available.
Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Monday, March 30
Applegrove’s AGM includes a light dinner, a speaker, door prizes, reports, board nominations and more. Contact Applegrove 416-461-8143 if you want to attend.
There are lots of reasons to get out of the house this month. Take a walk to one of these activities in the neighbourhood:
Sat. Feb. 7 – Applegrove’s Yoga-thon
Lace up your skates
Until 10 p.m. daily – Greenwood Park skating trail. It’s called one of the five coolest places to skate in Toronto. Nice to see they picked up our photo (taken the day the rink opened in November 2013).
Tuesday February 24, 7 p.m. S.H. Armstrong hosts the Leslie to Coxwell Urban Design Guideline meeting
Gerrard-Ashdale Library events include an interesting film Tuesday Feb. 3 Hue: a matter of colour is about “the history and current state of colourism: the discrimination within one ethnicity based on differences in skin tone.”
East End Community Health Centre – February 2015 calendar
S.H. Armstrong Community Recreation Centre – as well as many programs requiring registration , S.H. has several drop-in programs such as female swims Thursday 6:45 and Leisure Swim Saturdays 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Time to lace up the skates! Greenwood Park opens tomorrow for skating until March 22. See the schedule of other rinks too. Here’s a photo from a year ago when the new ice trail opened.
This is a busy weekend:
Saturday October 18 – 12 to 3 p.m. “Anyone can roam the halls” at Monarch Park Collegiate’s 50th anniversary reunion. Evening dance – tickets required.
Saturday 10:30 a.m. Gerrard-Ashdale Library – learn how to write a novel in 30 days
Saturday at 3:30: Jeffrey Baldwin monument to be unveiled at Greenwood Park – Beach Mirror
Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 9 p.m. Little India – Gerrard India Bazaar celebrates Diwali.
Sunday – Ashbridge Estate hosts the final Leslieville Flea Market of the season.
Sunday 9 to 2 is the second-last day for our farmers’ market in Jonathan Ashbridge Park.
Sat. May 31 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Fun Fair – Duke of Connaught School
70 Woodfield Road
Food, rides, entertainment
Sun. June 1 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Farmer’s Market – Jonathan Ashbridge Park
On Queen St E. between Greenwood and Coxwell
Sundays – 9am-2pm until October 26
– from Toronto Vegetarian Association – Farmer’s Markets
And, word is there will be a farmer’s market in Greenwood Park this year, haven’t seen an official notice yet.